OWCA members can serve on one of our committees, according to their interests and skill sets. Committee positions do not have set term limits; instead time commitments for individual committee projects will be agreed upon by the committee chair and committee members. Each committee is chaired by 1-2 OWCA Executive Board Members.
To inquire about joining a committee, please contact that committee’s email address below. The committee chair will let you know if the committee can take additional members at that time.
Diversity & Social Justice Committee
The Diversity & Social Justice Committee champions diversity efforts in other committees and develop social justice resources for OWCA. The committee broadly understands social justice in the context of Jones & Walton (2018), where social justice is invested in advocating for and amplifying the “agency of oppressed people–those who are materially, socially, politically, and/or economically under-resourced” in ways that center “a collaborative, respectful approach that moves past description and exploration…to taking action to redress inequities” (p. 242). The committee recognizes the ambiguity and appropriation of the term “Social Justice” and seek to conduct specific, actionable work centering marginalized groups.
2022 Committee Chairs
- Paula Rawlins, Chair
- Heejung (Monica) Kwon, Co-Chair
In 2022, the Diversity & Social Justice Committee will work towards the following objectives:
- Compile report based on first membership demographic questionnaire results and revise questionnaire to be sent out during the first week of December
- Collaborate with Virtual Events on at least one anti-racism event
- Create a public archive of resources related to Diversity and Social Justice for writing centers
- Write a General Diversity Statement for OWCA
- Work with OWCA members to identify actionable means of supporting the intersecting communities they represent
Join the Diversity & Social Justice Committee
To join, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Accessibility Committee champions accessibility efforts in other committees and develops accessibility resources for OWCA.
2022 Committee Chairs
- Brooke Hessler, Chair
- Madelyn Carroll, Co-Chair
In 2022, the Accessibility Committee will work towards the following objectives:
- Draft the Accessibility Statement for OWCA
- Make the Accessibility Statement a model of accessibility: Following Executive Board approval of the Accessibility Statement for OWCA, develop and publish the Accessibility Statement in at least two formats to make the text itself more widely accessible
- Expand the existing OWCA scholarship bank to include additional resources on Accessibility and on the development of Accessibility Statements.
- Supporting the Conference Committee’s review/development of accessibility elements in the Call for Proposals
- Objective 5: Supporting the Virtual Events Committee’s development of a Post-Event Accessibility Task Force (ex: making sure session transcripts and conference materials achieve accessibility criteria before they are published online)
Join the Accessibility Committee
To join, just send an email to email@example.com
The Conference Committee plans and organizes OWCA’s virtual conferences. In 2021, the committee planned a conference from October 4-8. The committee wrote the call for proposals, reviewed proposals, and created the conference schedule. They helped host writing sessions to support people who were writing conference proposals or people who were creating their presentation materials. They also advised on the conference website and facilitated sessions during the conference.
2022 Committee Chairs
- Kim Fahle Peck, Chair
- Erika Maikish, Co-Chair
In 2022, the Conference Committee will work towards the following objectives:
- Plan the OWCA conference for 2023
- Write and release the call for proposals
Join the Conference Committee
To join, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Events Committee
The Virtual Events Committee (VEC) schedules and facilitates small virtual events for OWCA members and the wider writing center community, including quarterly webinars and bi-monthly reading clubs. The VEC schedules and hosts regular virtual events related to online writing center work. This work includes recruiting presenters, advertising and planning the events, providing technical support to attendees and presenters, providing accessible recordings and materials from events, and collaborating with other committees on various projects. The committee is dedicated to hosting events that can be attended as professional development for both writing center administrators and tutors.
- Megan Boeshart, Virtual Events Chair
- Bri Lafond, Virtual Events Co-Chair
In 2022, the Virtual Events Committee will work towards the following objectives
- Brainstorm and research event ideas
- Draft event schedule for 2022
- Begin recruiting presenters and scheduling events in conjunction with Diversity & Social Justice Committee and Liaison Committee
- Brainstorm and plan for a potential premium event (paid event) and determine structure and pay scale
- Draft a CFP for Webinars for 2023
- Create Post-Event Accessibility Task Force and outline how that task force will function
Join the Virtual Events Committee
To join, just send an email to email@example.com
Mentoring & Resources Committee
The Mentoring & Resources Committee coordinates the OWCA mentoring program, maintains the public scholarship database, and develops resources to support mentoring in OWC work.
- Beth Nastachowski, Secretary and Mentoring & Resources Committee Chair
In 2022, this committee will work towards the following objectives:
- Completing the requirements of the SWCA grant.
- Maintain scholarship archive.
- Coordinate the OWCA mentoring program.
- Brainstorm additional resources.
Join the Mentoring & Resources Committee
To join, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Liaison Committee represents and connects with other associations, organizations, and affiliations to promote partnerships and the OWCA. Currently, the committee is working to determine related associations, organizations, or IWCA affiliates, secure liaison representation at related associations, plan attendance at upcoming 2022 events, and work on a feasible strategy for liaison work moving forward.
The committee is still looking for liaisons for the following IWCA affiliates and organizations:
- Middle East/North Africa Writing Centers Alliance
- Canadian Writing Centres Association / l’Association Canadienne Des Centres de Rédaction
- European Writing Center Association
- La Red Latino Americana de Centros y Programas de Escritura
U.S. Regional Affiliates
- East Central
- Colorado and Wyoming Writing Tutors Conference
- Pacific Northwest
- Rocky Mountain
- South Central
- Northern California
- Southern California
- GSOLE: Global Society of Online Literacy Educators
- SSWCA: Secondary Schools Writing Center Association
2022 Committee Chair
- Sarah Prince, Vice President and Liaison Committee Chair
In 2022, this committee will work towards the following objectives
- In collaboration with the Virtual Events Team, host at least 2 virtual events that are co-sponsored with affiliate/organization partners outside of conference events
- Formalize an affiliate process, including instructions and a template for interested affiliates, posting on our website
- Formalize affiliate status with GSOLE (as a test case for our own affiliate process)
- Create a running list of relevant affiliates/organizations and a yearly calendar for conferences to share with website coordinator(s)
Join the Liaison Committee
To join, just send an email to email@example.com