The OWCA is committed to centering disability and accessibility in our events. For our 2023 conference, we will do the following:
- Require all presenters to provide written transcripts, slide decks, and other presentation materials to attendees.
- Hire American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters for all synchronous sessions. The OWCA works with Morr Interpreting for ASL interpretation.
- Record all synchronous sessions.
- Have edited closed captions for all asynchronous and synchronous video recordings.
If we have not appropriately planned for your accessibility needs, please email the OWCA Accessibility Committee at email@example.com.
Accessibility Requirements for Presenters
The OWCA will require presenters and facilitators to share materials for their session prior to the actual conference dates. These materials are necessary to fulfill OWCA’s commitment to accessible, equitable, and inclusive interaction. The OWCA reserves the right to edit presentation materials for digital accessibility.
Asynchronous presenters will need to share the following materials by March 24, 2023:
- Session recording and closed captions. Presenters who propose an asynchronous presentation will record their presentation and upload it to YouTube. We recommend setting your video privacy setting to “unlisted” and turning off comments and ratings. Presenters will also edit the closed captions on their video for accuracy. Presenters will send the link to their YouTube video to the OWCA. For assistance, please use these resources on How to make a YouTube video unlisted and How to add closed captions in YouTube.
- Slide decks. Presenters who are using slide decks must provide the slides as a PowerPoint (PPT) file to the OWCA. This file will be available to attendees.
- Handouts [if applicable]. Presenters who plan to share handouts must provide these files as Microsoft Word documents to the OWCA.
Synchronous facilitators will need to share the following materials by March 31, 2023:
- Detailed outline: Facilitators leading a workshop or roundtable discussion should prepare a detailed outline that includes any scripted portions of the session, outlines the major topics and the order of activities, and includes directions for any activity and/or the specific discussion questions being put forward.
- Slide decks [if applicable]. Facilitators who are using slide decks must provide the slides as a PowerPoint (PPT) file to the OWCA. This file will be available to attendees.
- Handouts [if applicable]. Facilitators who plan to distribute handouts must provide these files as Microsoft Word documents to the OWCA.
Accessibility Resources for Presenters
If you are presenting at the OWCA 2023 conference, please use the following resources for support.
- OWCA 2021 Conference Accessibility Guide (Word)
- OWCA Guide to Designing Accessible Documents (Word)
- Introduction to Digital Accessibility Principles (webinar)
- OWCA Guide for Asynchronous Recorded Presentations (Word)
Example Presentation Materials
- Example Slidedeck (PowerPoint)
- Example Transcript for Individual or Panel Presentation (Word)
- Example Transcript & Handout for Workshop (Word)
- Example Presenter Transcript (Word)