The OWCA mentoring program aims to support online writing center tutors and administrators through peer-to-peer mentoring groups.
The OWCA group mentoring program is organized by the OWCA Mentoring & Resources Committee (email@example.com). You can learn more about the OWCA Mentoring & Resources Committee on the OWCA Committees page.
What Are Mentoring Groups?
Mentoring groups disrupt mentoring’s traditional hierarchy and embrace a peer-to-peer group format. Building on principles of writing center pedagogy, each group decides on their meeting times, the structure of their meetings, and their goals.
Mentoring groups are responsive to individual mentee needs and help mentees develop online writing tutoring pedagogy and practices. The objectives of this program are to:
- Innovate: Disrupt the traditionally hierarchical nature of mentee-mentor relationships by embracing a peer-to-peer group mentoring model.
- Connect: Develop sustainable and meaningful relationships and connections between OWCA members.
- Reflect: Provide synchronous and asynchronous opportunities for OWCA members to reflect on, share, and solicit feedback on their writing center’s online tutoring from multiple perspectives.
- Grow: Encourage the development of meaningful and effective online writing center pedagogy and practices.
Who Are Mentoring Groups For?
Any current OWCA member can participate in a mentoring group. We welcome anyone interested in and/or working in online writing centers to join, including students, professionals, administrators, and faculty. Individuals will be matched in a group that meets their mentoring goals, as best as we are able to.
Not an OWCA member? You can join the OWCA here!
The OWCA group mentoring program creates group mentoring cohorts twice a year:
- Cohort 1: January—June, with a kick-off meeting in early January
- Cohort 2: July—December, with a kick-off meeting in early July
Registration for Cohort 2 of 2022 is now open until June 10! Cohort 2 will run from July—December 2022 with a kick-off meeting in early July.
Participants of Cohort 1 who would like to participate in Cohort 2 (either in their current mentoring group or a new group) should also register for Cohort 1 (you will be asked to complete a shorter registration form).
If you’re an OWCA member, you can register for a Mentoring Group>>
If you are not an OWCA member, please join the OWCA before registering.