The OWCA is accepting applications and nominations for a Website Coordinator.
- Length of term: 2 years (January 2022 to December 2023)
- Monthly time commitment: 5-15 hours, depending on the needs of the organization
- Number of openings: 1
- Renewable?: Yes
- Elected by: OWCA Executive Board
The Website Coordinator will manage the OWCA website (WordPress) and the OWCA membership software (Cozmoslabs Profile Builder + Paid Member Subscriptions). More specifically, the Website Coordinator will do the following:
- Make timely updates to website content and navigation, as requested by the Board and committees
- Edit website content for readability and accessibility before it is published
- Assist the Conference Committee with creating and updating the yearly conference website
- Attend committee meetings, when invited, to discuss/plan website projects
- Assist OWCA members with technical issues in their accounts
- Create detailed documentation for the website
- Research website plugins (or apps) that add additional features for the Board and committees
The Website Coordinator’s monthly time commitment will include extensive training on the OWCA website backend, membership software, basic HTML, and digital accessibility principles. The person in this position will be trained by the President and the other Website Coordinator.
The Executive Board
The Website Coordinator is a voting member of the Executive Board. This means that the Website Coordinator is expected to attend Executive Board meetings, report on changes to the website, review items that need Board feedback/approval, and vote on Board and committee projects.
In 2021, Executive Board meetings were held once per month for an hour and a half. During some months, additional one-hour meetings were scheduled for training or additional discussion of committee projects. Executive Board members also have opportunities to attend Meet and Greets with OWCA members and present at special interest groups (SIGs) on online writing center work.
If you’d like to learn more about this position, you are encouraged to contact the OWCA President, Jenelle Dembsey, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also attend the Executive Board Meet and Greet on October 6 from 2-3pm EST.
Application Timeline and Instructions
- October 31: Deadline for submitting applications
- November 9: Executive board to review applications and vote
- November 30: Results are announced
Who Can Apply
Anyone can apply for this position, but you will need to be an OWCA member to accept the position and serve your term. We especially welcome and encourage people who identify as Queer/LGBTQ+, BI/POC, Indigenous, Disabled, Neurodivergent, or an otherwise marginalized identity to apply. Per our Anti-Racism Statement, students and professionals who identify as people of color can become OWCA members at no charge.
Applicants also do not need to be currently employed in academia and do not need to have writing center experience. To manage our website, though, applicants should:
- Have experience with website editing (preferably in WordPress)
- Feel comfortable learning the backend of our website and researching answers to website problems
- Be familiar with Google Suite and Zoom
- Be committed to creating accessible website content
Applicants are encouraged to browse through our current website content before applying.
What to Submit
Please create a written statement (200-300 words) OR video statement (2-3 minutes). Video statements should be uploaded to YouTube and include edited closed captions for accessibility (please review the OWCA Guide for Video Applications for assistance).
Your statement will be shared privately with the OWCA Executive Board. In your statement, you should answer the following questions:
- What is your experience with website editing? What platforms have you used and what kinds of websites have you edited in the past (personal, institutional, event, etc.)?
- What ideas do you have for the OWCA to improve its digital presence and better reach or support its members?
Apply or Nominate Someone
Please use the form below to apply for this position. You can also nominate another individual that you think would be a good fit for this position. If you nominate someone, we will reach out to them and encourage them to apply.