The OWCA is accepting applications and nominations for a Virtual Events Co-Chair.
- Length of term: 2 years (January 2022 to December 2023)
- Monthly time commitment: ~10 hours
- Renewable?: No
- Elected by: OWCA membership
The Virtual Events Co-Chair will help to chair the OWCA Virtual Events Committee (VEC). The committee is looking for someone interested in collaborating with other committee members to plan and host public events related to online writing center work. The committee is dedicated to hosting events that are inclusive and accessible. The committee is also dedicated to making sure that all hosted events are welcoming, relevant, and engaging to undergraduate, graduate, and professional tutors in addition to writing center administrators.
Year 1 (January to December 2022): The first year of appointment, the Virtual Events Committee Co-Chair will act as the co-chair for the Virtual Events Committee. The co-chair will be mentored by the chair to acclimate to the responsibilities of the chair and co-chair and responsibilities of the committee.
Year 2 (January to December 2023): The following year, the co-chair will rotate into the position of Chair of the Virtual Events Committee and take over the responsibilities of chairing the committee as well as mentoring the newly elected co-chair.
The Virtual Events Committee (VEC)
The VEC is currently made up of the chair and two additional members. The committee usually meets once a month with additional meetings in preparation for major events such as webinars. These additional meetings typically include dress rehearsals with technology checks with the presenter or training volunteers for pop-up consulting events.
The committee has the official following responsibilities:
- Schedule and host regular virtual events
- Set up virtual participation at onsite events
- Provide technical support to presenters and attendees
- Record all events and work to provide edited closed captions and transcripts
- Maintain event registration and attendance lists
- Work with the Diversity and Social Justice Committee and Liaison Committee to recruit presenters
- Work with the Website Coordinators to advertise events
- Work with the Accessibility Committee and presenters to implement effective practices for accessible presentations
- Collaborate with the Liaison Committee to submit proposals for special interest groups on online writing center work at the International Writing Centers Association (IWCA) conference and similar events
- Create and maintain job aides for future committee members
The VEC has also set goals for conducting quarterly webinars in addition to other events for 2022. Our first webinar this year was presented by J.M. Dembsey on Digital Accessibility Principles and we have another webinar on Unconscious Bias scheduled for November. This past year, the VEC has helped host pop-up writing center consultation events for potential conference presenters on their proposals and for helping conference presenters prepare their conference materials and ensure accessibility of those materials. The VEC is also currently planning a bi-monthly reading club on topics related to online writing center work.
Events hosted by the VEC are open to the public and are archived on the OWCA website. Applicants are encouraged to browse through the Event Archive.
The Executive Board
The Virtual Events Co-Chair is a voting member of the Executive Board. This means that the Virtual Events Co-Chair is expected to attend Executive Board meetings, report on the progress of the Virtual Events Committee, review items that need Board feedback/approval, and vote on Board and committee projects.
In 2021, Executive Board meetings were held once per month for an hour and a half. During some months, additional one-hour meetings were scheduled for training or additional discussion of committee projects. Executive Board members also have opportunities to attend Meet and Greets with OWCA members and present at special interest groups (SIGs) on online writing center work.
If you’d like to learn more about this position, you are encouraged to contact the Virtual Events Chair, Megan Boeshart, at email@example.com.
You can also attend the Executive Board Meet and Greet on October 6 from 2-3pm EST.
Application Timeline and Instructions
- October 31: Deadline for submitting applications
- November 8: Electronic Ballot is sent to members for voting
- November 19: Deadline for OWCA members to submit votes
- November 30: Results are announced
Who Can Apply
Anyone can apply for this position, but you will need to be an OWCA member to accept the position and serve your term. We especially welcome and encourage people who identify as Queer/LGBTQ+, BI/POC, Indigenous, Disabled, Neurodivergent, or an otherwise marginalized identity to apply. Per our Anti-Racism Statement, students and professionals who identify as people of color can become OWCA members at no charge.
Applicants also do not have to be currently employed at a writing center. Current Board members are students, IRB Coordinators, ePortfolio Student Support Coordinators, Learning Resource Center Directors, and Assistant Professors of English. To understand and support our members, though, applicants should have some familiarity with implementing or researching online writing support services.
What to Submit
Please create a written statement (200-300 words) OR video statement (2-3 minutes). Video statements should be uploaded to YouTube and include edited closed captions for accessibility (please review the OWCA Guide for Video Applications for assistance).
Your statement will be displayed privately on the OWCA website and distributed to OWCA members. In your statement, you should answer the following questions:
- What are your ideas for webinars or other small virtual events that the Virtual Events Committee could host?
- What ideas do you have for expanding OWCA membership or better supporting OWCA members?
Your statement should focus on your ideas and what you’d like to do as an OWCA Executive Board member. Please do not submit a summary of your resume/CV.
Apply or Nominate Someone
Please use the form below to apply for this position. You can also nominate another individual that you think would be a good fit for this position. If you nominate someone, we will reach out to them and encourage them to apply.