The Online Writing Centers Association (OWCA) is accepting applications for a Conference Co-Chair on our Executive Board. This is a volunteer position.
- Length of term: ~2 years total (May 2022 to September 2024). Term may end earlier in 2024, depending on the timing of the conference.
- Time commitment: 10-20 hours per month (includes synchronous and asynchronous work)
- Renewable?: No
- Elected by: OWCA Executive Board
We welcome your application regardless of your prior experience with conference planning or online events. You should apply for this position if you:
- Would like to develop skills in virtual conference planning and inclusive event design
- Can apply feedback from others throughout the process
- Would enjoy planning a fully online conference
- Have ideas for ways an online conference could better meet the needs of OWCA members
If elected, you would work closely with the current Conference Chair for the first year of your term and receive mentoring and training on how to plan a virtual conference. You would then become the Conference Chair during the second year of your term and help to mentor the incoming Conference Co-Chair.
You would also be supported by the Diversity & Social Justice Committee, Accessibility Committee, and Virtual Events Committee while planning the conference.
If elected, you would serve 1 year as Conference Co-Chair, followed by 1 year as Conference Chair.
Year 1: Conference Co-Chair
As Conference Co-Chair, you would do the following within your monthly time commitment:
- Work closely with the current Conference Chair and receive mentoring as needed
- Assist the Conference Chair in planning and coordinating the OWCA conference to be held sometime in April–September 2023.
- Attend Conference Committee meetings and lead the meetings when the Conference Chair is not available
- Help manage deadlines leading up to the conference
- Help work with the Diversity & Social Justice Committee, Accessibility Committee, and Virtual Events Committee throughout the year
- Attend monthly Executive Board meetings to help report on your committee’s progress, review items that need Board feedback/approval, and vote on Board and committee projects
Year 2: Conference Chair
As Conference Chair, you would do the following within your monthly time commitment:
- Lead the planning and coordinating of the OWCA online conference to be held sometime in April–September 2024, including providing the overall vision for the conference theme and organization.
- Work closely with the incoming Conference Co-Chair and mentor them as needed
- Chair the OWCA Conference Committee, which involves scheduling and leading committee meetings, delegating tasks to committee members for both synchronous and asynchronous collaboration, and organizing committee files
- Set, maintain, and track deadlines leading up to the conference
- Work with the Diversity & Social Justice Chair, Accessibility Chair, and Virtual Events Chair throughout the year
- Attend monthly Executive Board meetings to report on your committee’s progress, review items that need Board feedback/approval, and vote on Board and committee projects
The OWCA conference is held annually (starting in 2023). The conference is fully online and uses OWCA resources, including the OWCA Google Team Drive, Zoom, email accounts, website, and budget. Information about past conferences is available in our Event Archive:
The Conference Committee
In the past, the Conference Committee has worked synchronously and asynchronously to accomplish the following:
- Choose conference dates and deadlines
- Draft the conference CFP and proposal rubric, with feedback from the Accessibility Committee and Diversity & Social Justice Committee
- Develop accessibility requirements for the conference, in collaboration with the Accessibility Committee
- Provide writing consultations for conference proposals, in collaboration with the Virtual Events Committee
- Review and approve conference proposals
- Create the conference schedule
- Provide consultations for conference presenters, in collaboration with the Virtual Events Committee
- Work with the Website Coordinators on the conference website
- Facilitate conference sessions
- Compile recommendations for future conferences
If you’d like to learn more about this position, please contact the current Conference Chair, Kim Fahle Peck, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The OWCA Board is looking to fill this position as soon as possible and will review applications at our next Board meeting on May 12. For first consideration, please submit by May 11, end of the day.
How to Apply
Please create a written statement (200-300 words) OR video statement (2-3 minutes). Video statements should be uploaded to YouTube and include edited closed captions for accessibility (please review OWCA Guide for Video Applications for assistance).
Your statement will be shared privately with the OWCA Executive Board. In your statement, you should answer the following questions:
- Tell us about any prior experiences you had that would help you to plan an online conference and collaborate with committee members.
- What themes, topics, or features would you find interesting for an online conference?
- Why do you want to be more involved with the OWCA?
Please submit your statement through the form below.