- This event has passed.
OWCC Webinar | Racial Justice and Online Writing Center Praxis
October 2, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm EDT
- Date: October 2, 2020, 4-5:30pm EST
- Presenter: Zandra L. Jordan
- Title: “Racial Justice and Online Writing Center Praxis”
- Hosting Organization: Online Writing Centers Community
In this webinar, participants will explore the ways our commitments to antiracism and racial justice can translate into online writing center praxis. Zandra will share ways that her identity informs her ethics and invite participants to explore their own values and the commitments that shape the identities of their writing centers. Rather than a one-size-fits-all approach to promoting racial justice through writing center practice, the webinar will stress that by examining our shared commitments and values, we can think through our individual contexts and determine strategies for action.
The first step is to develop a clear ethic: we need to recognize and account for race in our writing center work and then question what a justice-oriented approach should look like. This is particularly important in our current moment when so many writing centers have shifted to online delivery and the nation is reeling from ongoing racialized violence and persistent systemic racism. The webinar will therefore recommend strategies for ensuring that our practices and engagement with writers through the online medium are promoting racial justice.
Webinar participants will:
- Inquire about their ethics and values around antiracism and racial justice
- Recognize that neither asynchronous nor synchronous online writing center interactions are neutral
- Reflect on how attitudes around race and difference are encoded into the language we use when giving verbal and written feedback
- Acknowledge the unique challenges with and opportunities for racial justice in an online writing center
- Tailor an ethic of racial justice to their particular contexts